by Properties in Costa Rica
Yes, one of the many benefits of Costa Rica’s natural resources is the possibility to cultivate and grow organic products in our land.
Small producers are getting more attracted towards growing and producing organic foods. Options are growing all over Costa Rica and the more interest the population shows the more possibilities we have.
As I said, the places where to get organic food grows as the demands get bigger. The central valley has several options of daily markets, street fairs and restaurants, other areas of the country still have limited options but there are a few.
This is a compilation of markets and restaurants that sell and serve organic products including fruits, vegetables, meats, cheese, milk, coffee, cleaning products, etc.
1. Green Center Supermarket - Río de Oro de Santa Ana and Curridabat. Offers fruits and vegetables, cleaning products, personal care products, meats and much more. It has express service where you can order the products and have them delivered to your home.
2. El Trueque Fair San José – Barrio el Carmen, Paso Ancho. Takes place every Saturday from 6 am to 12 pm and it offers fruits and vegetables, cheese, milk, etc.
3. Aranjuez Green Market – Barrio Aranjuez. Saturday from 6 am to 12 pm
4. Buena Tierra Organic Fair Escazú – In front of the Red Cross of Escazu. Wednesday from 8 am to 11 am
5. Organic Fair Km 0 – Avenida Escazú. Saturday from 9 am to 2 pm
6. Organic and artisans Maket – Ciudad Colon (Mercado Viejo). Thursday from 2 to 6 pm.
7. Viandas Market – San Jose downtown. Online shopping available.
8. Mar Verde Biodynamic Farm – Punta Leona, Jaco. Offers fruits, vegetables, honey, herbs, etc.
9. Ecological Market El Guayabo – Nicoya, Guanacaste. Monday thru Friday from 6:30 am to 5:30 pm and Sunday from 6:30 am to 1:30 pm
10. Guápiles Organic Fair – Guapiles, Limon. Saturday from 5 am to 12 pm.
11. Heredia Green Fair – Santo Domingo, Heredia. Sunday from 8 am to 2 pm.
12. Turrialba Organic Fair – Turrialba. Saturday from 6 am to 2 pm.
I personally like going to the market and enjoy all those colors and smells, it is not a simple shopping shore. Some of these fairs have become social events where people with similar interests and life styles get together.
Dining options are also available with vegan, organic and raw food. Take a look at the following list:
1. Buena Tierra. Escazu.
Cuisine: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Organic, Western, Caribbean, Beer/Wine, Take-out
2. Mandala. Plaza Vita, Escazu.
Cuisine: Ovo, Lacto, Organic, Western, Pizza, Juice bar, Beer/Wine, Take-out
3. La Oliva Verde. Momentum Lindora, Santa Ana.
Cuisine: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Juice bar, Mediterranean, Non-veg
4. Oasis Restaurant and Bar. Trejos Montealegre, Escazu
Cuisine: Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Western, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Delivery, Non-veg
5. El Brotario. Barrio Escalante, San Jose.
Cuisine: Vegan, Organic, Western, Fusion, Raw, Juice bar, Take-out
6. Mantras Veggie Cage and Tea House. Barrio Escalante, San Jose.
Cuisine: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Caribbean, Costa Rican, Raw, Take-out, Delivery
7. Pu Ti. Guadalupe, San Jose
Cuisine: Vegan-friendly, Chinese, Take-out, Taiwanese
8. The Flying Tomato. La Fortuna, San Carlos
Cuisine: Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Lacto, Organic, American, Western, Juice bar
9. Elemental Samara. Samara Beach.
Cuisine: Vegan, Juice bar, Raw, International, Take-out, Delivery
10. Pajara Pinta. Jaco.
Cuisine: Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Costa Rican, Fusion, Organic, Beer/Wine
Consuming organic products is not only something we should do for ourselves, of course the benefits to our health will be enormous but we are also helping the small local producers directly. We are not buying products from big companies so it is assured that we will be helping social development of small communities. In the bigger picture, we are also helping the whole environment, as organic agriculture is a way of reducing global warming.